Magnesium Hydroxide Slurry Cost Savings
Magnesium Hydroxide Slurry Provides Cost Savings Over Caustic Soda and Hydrated Lime in Wastewater Treatment
Magnesia-based technologies are trusted by many of North America’s major corporations for wastewater neutralization, pH adjustment, and alkalinity supplementation by delivering a compelling envelope of technical, economic, and safety benefits.
An important source of cost savings available to 50% caustic soda users originates from the greater alkalinity contribution of magnesium hydroxide:
- One gallon of magnesium hydroxide slurry replaces 1.7 gallons of 50% caustic soda on an equal-alkalinity basis
- One gallon of magnesium hydroxide slurry replaces 2.8 gallons of 34% hydrated lime slurry on an equal-alkalinity basis
Additional cost reductions with magnesium hydroxide slurry include:
- Disposal costs of biosolids/sludge creates less sludge volume vs. caustic soda and hydrated lime
- Costs for acids are unnecessary with natural buffering at a pH of 9
- Costs for descaling chemicals - magnesium hydroxide does not cause scaling like hydrated lime
- Costs for polymers – magnesium hydroxide forms a larger floc particle than caustic soda where solids settling is improved, reducing polymer usage
For more information regarding your application or to place an order, please call 800-648-7400 (inside the U.S.) or +1-410-780-5500. Or, Contact Us with your questions.