Truth in Costing
Magnesia technologies are trusted by many of North America’s major corporations for wastewater neutralization, pH adjustment, and alkalinity supplementation by delivering a compelling envelope of technical, economic, and safety benefits.
An important source of cost savings available to 50% caustic soda users originates from the greater alkalinity contribution of magnesium hydroxide.
- One gallon of magnesium hydroxide replaces 1.77 gallon of 50% sodium hydroxide, on an equal-alkalinity basis
- A cost savings calculator is provided at the bottom of our Wastewater Treatment Page as an easy method to calculate cost savings
Additional cost reductions:
- Disposal Costs of biosolids/sludge creates less sludge volume vs. other alkalis
- Costs for Acids are unnecessary with natural buffering at a pH of 9
- Costs for De-scaling Chemicals – magnesium hydroxide does not cause scaling
- Costs for Polymers – magnesium hydroxide forms a larger floc particle where solids settling is improved, reducing polymer usage
- Reduced Transportation Costs – Consuming less neutralization agent means less product to transport